Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Reflections ...from the other side


For the past twenty years or so I've worked on Christmas Eve and often on Christmas Day. I loved the opportunity to serve. I confidently prepared throughout the year for these special services. I made all the preparations, secured the worship teams for multiple services, created the music plans, arranged the charts for each and every song/hymn, organized and led multiple rehearsals, created graphics for each musical piece and ordered them into a flowing worship encounter. All this to set the tone, set the mood, and to create an aesthetically pleasing and comfortable experience for God's people to engaged with him at this special time. And I humbly, and prayerfully, was honored to serve.

This year, for the first time that I can remember, I'm free from all of the normalcies of the worship leader, creative arts director, and or worship pastor duties ...and I'm experiencing a different season. I'm still working in the surrounding area, ministering through music and word wherever God sends me, and have been extremely busy, but the weekly 'church' responsibilities have been removed.

The clearness of sight is stunning. The ability to focus more time on the spiritual journey is deepening my understanding of the story. It's re-energizing my soul, refreshing my heart, and availing me the opportunity to re-focus on my story as God's disciple.

Last week I had cataract surgery on one of my eyes. The purpose was to correct my cloudy vision. The cataract hindered me from seeing things clearly, much like so many of us when we get overloaded with the preparation and then miss the celebration. Remember, I loved what I did, I never ever thought of it as a weight, yet I wasn’t aware of the wear and tear it was having on me. In hindsight I believe it hardened me, made me a bit calloused, maybe tarnished some of the shine.

I’m not sure why I’m writing this but to express what I’ve come to realize in this new season and maybe to create an awareness of what can happen without us even knowing it. The ever present quest to honor God if not combined with a healthy balanced lifestyle can have  a negative result. 

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. (Romans 12:1 ESV)

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t regret any of those years, I wouldn't want to give up any of the wonderful and beautiful memories, but maybe if I was a bit more in tune with the long term results I might have stepped back a little, or delegated a bit more. As my friend Rich Kirkpatrick has so creatively stated (or warned) in his book ’The Six Hats,’ I might have shared a hat, or even given one away.  

So my prayer for all you this season is that you find clarity, and that your lenses be clear of any cloudiness, so that you can see our Father in heaven in all of His glory, and celebrate the birth of His son, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Pray on,
Eddy 

4 comments:

  1. Eddy, you are my hero! I am so encouraged to hear your new creations and ministry and it sounds like this new season will be fruitful not only outwardly but inwardly. I hope I can see more clearly, as well. Your heart, talent, and wisdom surely is a gift to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words my friend, I look forward to when our paths cross again!

      Delete
  2. Praying that this fresh opportunity to experience Christmas differently opens your heart and eyes to God's intentions for you, brother! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bro., seeing through some amazingly peaceful eyes this season ...blessings to you and yours!

      Delete